Apo Island Travel Guide:
Hi fellow nature and travel lovers! Here I go again, this time in Visayas Area particularly in Negros Island. After quite many searches made via Google, I decided to visit this place because of good feedback from people who already visited there. According to Wikipedia The term “Apo” was derived from a Filipino word for “grandchild”. The island is protected by various government and non-government organizations because of its rich marine ecosystem.
Apo Island is one of the famous destinations in Negros for both local and international tourists. The place is also in the list of various schools for educational tours for their students.
What to expect in Apo Island:
- No Bank ATMs or Automated Teller Machines
- Supply of potable water is limited
- Electricity source comes from Generators
- Motorboat or Motor-bangka is the only means of transportation going in and out of the Island.
Things to do in Apo Island:
- Turtle Watching
- Dolphin Watching
- Sun Bathing at the beach
- Eco Trail
- and others
How to go to Apo Island? – I am at the Mactan Cebu International Airport (MCIA) or at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).
- Take a flight bound for Dumaguete City.
- Ride a Bus | Jeep | Van going to Malatapay, Zamboanguita Port. Much better if you have hotel accommodation, you can ask the hotel personnel to arrange your trip (of course this means additional expense).
- at the Malatapay, Zamboaguita Port, go to registration area and register your name and pay for terminal or port fee.
- Rent and board a boat that will take you to Apo Island. Payment for the boat must be arranged between you and the boat captain first before the boat leaves the port. You can opt to pay the full amount after your return.
I am somewhere in Cebu Province and I opt to travel by land, how to go to Apo Island?
Travel by means of riding a Bus | Van | Taxi or other Public Transport System in order to reach the Liloan Port of Santander Cebu where we can board a Roll-on Roll-off (RORO) boat or Fastcraft. I heard that there are some Shipping Companies in Cebu Port Authority (CPA) offer trip going to Dumaguete City. But anyway, I’ll update this article soon as I get enough information. Meantime, let’s focus on travelling via Liloan Port.
Map going to Liloan Port:
- From Cebu South Bus Terminal, ride a Bus (CERES) bound for Santander Liloan Port. Tell the driver or bus crew to drop you at the Lilian Port where you can board a RORO boat or fastcraft for Dumaguete City. Travel by bus is expected to consume 3-4 hours of your time so better relax and save your energy for the rest of your trip.
- Once arrived at the Liloan Port, buy a ticket and pay for the terminal fee. Then, wait for your boat’s departure.
- At Dumaguete Sea Port, you can hire or ride a jeep, bus or other Public Transport available in the area that will take you directly to Malatapay, Zamboanguita Port for Apo Island. Make sure to negotiate the fare first before closing the deal.
- For those who travel with hotel reservation in Dumaguete City, you can ride a tricycle, jeep or bus and ask the driver to drop you off to the hotel or much better if your hotel has its travel service ask them to fetch you. You can ask your hotel to arrange your Apo Island trip for additional expense. But you can opt to do the other way around to minimize your travel expense.
Apo Island Boat rental Fee (2 way or vice-versa) :
Price ranging from Php 3,000 – Php 6,000. Price depends on the passenger capacity of the boat (motor-bangka). 8 pax is the minimum and 14 pax is the maximum capacity of the boats. Note that, the sea waves in the area is bigger than usual specially during Amihan or Habagat. So, better rent the bigger ones for your safety.
Some helpful tips while you stay in Dumaguete City:
Nearby Restaurants in Dumaguete City:
- Lab-as Restaurant – Flores Avenue, Dumaguete City
- Hayahay TreeHouse Bar and Viewdeck – Flores Avenue, Piapi, Escano Beach, Dumaguete City
- Cafe Laguna – Ground floor, Nicanor Hotel, San Jose Street, Dumaguete City
- Sans Rival Bistro – San Jose Street, Dumaguete City
Other interesting places the you should visit:
- The Bell Tower
- Silliman University – Anthropology Museum
- Mabinay Spring
- Caves (Panligawan, Pandalihan, Crystal) in Mabinay Negros Oriental
- Rizal Boulevard “Dumaguete’s Baywalk”
For more travel articles, please visit this link: Travel Pa More